Fresh, Fruity Porridge for Easy Fall Mornings
This time of year it can be tough to maintain a clean and balanced diet. I find oatmeal is a great way to start my day – it takes minimal effort, and it keeps me full for a long time.
This recipe is courtesy of one of my favourite healthy cookbooks, “The Family Cooks,” by Laurie David. I find it so handy when looking for wholesome recipes my entire family can enjoy!
This recipe makes six servings, so you can prep for your whole week, or share with loved ones. The best part? You can change the toppings to keep your breakfasts fresh and interesting.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not “instant”)
- 3 cups plain yogurt (whole or low-fat) or kefir
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 large apples (not peeled), grated
- 1 cup mixed fresh fruit, such as sliced kiwi or strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries (save a little extra for garnish)
- Combine the oats, yogurt, honey, apples, and mixed fruit in a bowl, making sure that the apple is completely folded into the yogurt.
- Divide the porridge evenly among six 8-ounce glasses or mason jars, cover tightly with wrap or lids, and refrigerate overnight. Have a good night’s sleep.
- The next morning, as the sun rises, garnish the porridge with more fresh fruit.
Looking for other ways to improve your meal planning and nutrition? Book an appointment with Dr. Tamarah Chaddah here.