Dr. Mariam Ashraf
Dr. Mariam Ashraf is an experienced chiropractor who had been working in the Edmonton community for 13 years. She completed her Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology at the University of Alberta. She then continued her studies in Toronto, completing her four year Doctorate of Chiropractic degree at the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College in 2006. Upon graduating, Dr. Ashraf returned to Edmonton and practiced there for 13 years until she recently moved to back to Ontario.
Dr. Ashraf applies an evidence-based approach to her practice and customizes each patient’s treatment plan according to their individual needs. She employs a multi-disciplinary style of practice and has had extensive experience working closely with medical doctors, dentists (for jaw issues), physiotherapists, and massage therapists.
Chiropractors are highly trained to treat conditions affecting the neuromusculoskeletal system (nerves, muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments, and related tissues). Utilizing a variety of other effective techniques in practice including shockwave therapy, instrument-assisted soft tissue therapy, therapeutic exercise, manipulations, mobilizations, Activator technique, and home advice. Each individual client will experience a treatment plan that combines these techniques over approximately 5-6 visits (acute complaints) or 9-12 visits (chronic complaints) to get you back to feeling optimally. Patients are advised to continue care after this at their own preference, as needed.
Dr. Ashraf also has additional training in treating temporomandibular dysfunction (TMJD/TMD) and associated craniofacial pain. She has been working with TMD patients for over 10 years.
Dr. Ashraf’s qualifications include:
– Certified in Kinesiotaping for soft tissue injuries.
– Trained to perform gait and biomechanical assessments for the manufacture of custom orthotics.
– Special training in assessment and treatment of jaw disorders. Also a guest speaker at the American Academy of Orofacial Pain in May 2019 on “A Multidisciplinary Approach to TMD”.
– Past team chiropractor for the Fort Saskatchewan Chiefs (senior AAA hockey).
– Member of MASCCP study club, a multidisciplinary group on jaw pain.
– Volunteering experience with kids in Tanzania and Bon Accord elementary school.
– G.L.A.D. Back® Certified, qualified to teach group classes for chronic lower back